Friday, July 9, 2010

Rolling Stones-Exile on Main Street

There's an old saying..."You're either a Stones fan or a Beatles Fan."  I don't know who said it or who started this rivalry. But, I was roped into that thinking too. So, I grew up with 3 older sisters that were Beatles fans, I play drums and I share a birthday with Ringo Starr. That being said...I am definitely a Beatles fan. I don't know what it was about the Rolling Stones in the 80's (my formative years in discovering music). But, they never lit me on fire that much. I thought Tattoo You with songs like Start Me Up and Waiting on a Friend were cool.  They became bigger and bigger and somewhere along the line became known as "the Greatest Rock and Roll Band".  I had respect for them. But, I wasn't crazy about them. When you're not a big fan and someone says something's "the greatest", I either investigate the claim or disagree with the statement. I chose the latter. But, with a lot of online hubbub about the deluxe reissue of 1972's Exile on Main Street, I figured I would talk about the one album by the Rolling Stones that I own and truly enjoy. I actually started this blog a few weeks back and am now rewriting it. Unlike many rock fans, I don't believe the Stones to be the end-all be-all band. I have never subscribed to that thinking. I'm sure many people feel that way about Zeppelin and the Beatles.
 
The opening drum and guitar intro to Start Me Up is very iconic. It's still iconic enough that you can't escape the song at sporting events as the song is blared from the loudspeakers. But, in my youth and younger years of drumming, I was more interested in drummers that were faster, louder and had more technique. I have realized this hampered my true appreciation of music(see my blog on AC/DC),  In my "immaturity", I found the drumming of Charlie Watts rather boring. In 1984, the ARMS benefit concerts for Ronnie Lane and MS were staged with an all-star band featuring Charlie Watts and The Who/Faces drummer Kenney Jones. This was actually historic in that the revered trio of guitar players that launched their careers from the Yardbirds all performed on the same stage together. In case you're not a guitar fanatic, those 3 players would be Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page. Well, Jeff Beck enlisted the help of his drummer(at the time) Simon Philips. Well, Simon can make any competent drummer look like a hack. The truth is that Charlie Watts is a very solid timekeeper and backbone of the Rolling Stones.

I have never seen the Stones live. But, everyone I've ever known that has seen them has said good things about their live show.
In 1989, as part of the KSCV college radio station staff, my friend Bob and I had the privilege of interviewing Joan Jett guitarist Ricky Byrd.  While interviewing him, we discovered that Ricky is a HUGE Rolling Stones fan ...especially former guitarist Mick Taylor. Mick Taylor had replaced original guitarist and founder Brian Jones in 1969. When Ricky talked about Mick Taylor and the Stones, the excitement was immensely contagious for any music fan. So, with Mick Taylor on Exile, I am immediately interested.

About 10-12 years back, I had been asked by a small "coffeehouse" band (two guys with guitars and bass) to play some percussion with them. It was a great learning experience.  Most of the music was original songs. But, one song that they had been performing was Little Too Loose from the album Exile on Main Street.  I had heard bits of the album before. I'm sure in my Dustys days that the album had been played by either Eric or Forrest.  I remember thinking it was rather raw and kinda cool. But, beyond that, not much. Well, my friend-Joel had a cassette copy of Exile and wanted me to learn the drums for Little Too Loose and just listen to the album.  I listened to it. But, in my own arrogance, I figured Charlie Watts drum parts were so easy that I could play them no problem. But, the fact is that subtleties of a building a song from quiet to epic is hard to teach or convey. It really must be felt. Little Too Loose is one of those songs. The drums are simple. But, when Charlie kicks in with the drum fill to finish the song, it's powerful and well...it just works.
So, I continued to listen to the borrowed cassette copy and reluctantly gave the cassette back when I was asked. So, when I found a used copy of the late 90's remaster of the double disc album, I jumped at it.
I like this album because of its simplicity and the rawness.
According to 1001 Albums, the recording of Exile on Main Street was anything but a harmonious effort. It was recorded in an unsuitable mansion that was once a Nazi Headquarters in France. Charlie Watts couldn't speak French. Mick Jagger had a new bride named Bianca and they would disappear from the recordings. That added to the grumblings for an album that took 12 months to record and mix. Thus, Exile became Keith Richards' proverbial baby. That may be why I really love this album. I really like Keith's solo work better than the big Stones projects. Maybe it's the larger than life myths about Keith's substance abuse and longevity. Maybe it's the grit and raspiness he exudes. I'm reminded of a 1981 sketch on Saturday Night Live.  This particular episode's host was Tim Curry. Curry was in a sketch as Mick Jagger in his "First Primetime Special....ever(or evah)".  Tim Curry prances around as Jagger and does quite a good job. Of course, one of the recurring characters was Joe Piscopo's impression of Frank Sinatra. So, Piscopo's Sinatra comes on as a guest of Curry's Jagger and compliments him by saying "I like what you do with that Richards' kid..y'know the one who looks like walking death!"
Tim Curry as Mick Jagger (unfortunately, the clip I found does not include the Sinatra bit)


Yes, Keith (or Keef) does look like "walking death". But, he survives and he thrives. It's been widely reported that he was Johnny Depp's inspiration for his Oscar nominated turn as Captain Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. One of my favorite tracks on Exile is minus the lead vocals of the quintessential frontman-Mick Jagger. That song is Happy featuring guitarist Keith Richards....

I even bought the Sheryl Crow and friends-live from Central Park because Keef is on the album performing Happy
Honestly, I've ben trying to write about this album since the end of May. The truth is that when I originally bought this on CD, It wasn't an album I was putting on constantly and playing it in the car and carried it everywhere I went. I would occasionally put it on my computer at work (with the volume low).  I loved the grittiness of the sound, the horns, the varied influences of blues, country, along with gospel backing vocals. I think the reason I loved this album was more about the lack of mainstream hits. I felt like this album was a secret that music lovers and rock n' roll junkies shared.  The general public know the big hits like Start Me Up, Satisfaction, Jumpin' Jack Flash and maybe Honky Tonk Women. But, people who follow (and love) music (or maybe it's just me) love Exile because it's like a lesser known entity and unknown masterpiece in the history of Rock n' Roll. 

As I've been searching for something to write about this album, I've been listening to Exile on my MP3 player with my headphones and I just love it. The production just knocks me out. I also recently bought a used DVD copy of the Martin Scorsese's Concert film : Shine a Light. Five of the songs on the DVD are from Exile on Main Street and in this film, they really do shine through(no pun intended) . I also checked out a copy of the 40th anniversary of the Stones' live album -Get Yer YaYa's Out.  I have really enjoyed the charm of who Charlie Watts is as a drummer. He's funky. He swings and he's rock steady.  When he smacks his snare drum, you feel the backbeat from head to toe. He really is underrated as a drummer. Another part of writing this blog is to further break down those walls I had put up for acts and bands that I thought I couldn't (or didn't want to) like. As I watch the DVD and listen to the live album, I may even be swayed to thinking the Stones are THE World's Greatest Rock n' Roll band.....maybe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Followers