Sunday, June 6, 2010

Van Halen (self titled)

Here I go with more memories associated with the music mentioned in the book "1001 Albums You Must Hear before You Die". Today..Van Halen's 1978 self titled debut.




By the time I became a fan of Van Halen, it was 1982 and they were 5 albums into their recording career. I had heard their cover of Roy Orbison's "(Oh) Pretty Woman". Thought it sounded pretty rockin'. Like most of mainstream America, I was aware that guitarist Eddie Van Halen was now married to TV star Valerie Bertinelli too. Oh and the lead singer was named David (like me). My Buddy-Mick introduced me to the album Diver Down on his "Ghetto Blaster/Boom Box and I was hooked. EVH was doing things on the guitar that I didn't know could be done(check out Cathedral from Diver Down). From there, I went back and bought everything by Van Halen including their 1978 debut.

I remember buying the LP of this way back in North Platte and playing it on my older sister/hand me down/GE Stereo with turntable, AM/FM Radio, and 8-track player and just sitting back and listening to it over and over.

The album opens with the song "Runnin' with the Devil". At that time in the 80's, there was a big movement in churches to discourage kids from music with any reference to THE DEVIL. So, me being a good Christian boy, was a little leery of this song. Obviously, this SoCal quartet were not choirboys by any stretch. As the 1001 book states,

 "from the car horns that usher in 'Runnin with the Devil' to the pummeling of 'On Fire', it is an unbeatable blend of sonic swagger and lyrical lust".


As a teenage boy with lots of testosterone, that's what I wanted to hear...no doubt about it. Alex Van Halen was the most Kick-ass Rock drummer I'd ever heard. Eddie was incredible on his ground breaking solo piece - "Eruption". Michael Anthony's bass rumbled and his high backing vocals complemented lead singer David Lee Roth's over the top antics. He was the "DAVE" I wanted to be...confident with an undeniable swagger. Even Years later (mid 90's) when Nissan used VH's cover of the Kink's "You Really Got Me", I could still feel the power of the MIGHTY VAN HALEN.

"Ain't Talking About Love" was one of the songs from the Roth era that was carried over into the "Van Hagar" days. I still remember seeing VH in 1986 and watching Sammy Hagar standing on top of the lighting rig singing this one. This is great for its simple chords and Eddie's creative pickings to give the song its individuality.

"I'm the One' was the Boogie/Shuffle Double Bass groove that made me go crazy for Alex Van Halen and his drumming prowess.

"Jamie's Cryin" started Side 2 of the LP off with a simple descending intro fill and a rock solid groove that was so good that Tone Loc sampled this intro for his 1988 hit "Wild Thing". I was so enraptured by that fill that when Tone Loc had a hit with it in 1988, I felt it was my duty to educate everyone who hadn't heard the VH original. Of course, Michael Anthony's signature High Harmony vocals fill out the chorus for this classic too.

Rock Fans and guitar historians still write about the significance of the first VH album. I just know it's part of my musical history and my teenage years(and beyond).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Followers