Thursday, May 13, 2010

AC/DC - Back in Black

As I started off this past weekend, I wanted to write about Black Sabbath and the album-Paranoid because I went to see Iron Man 2 on opening night. Well, I did. But, for this sequel, the producers decided to enlist the music of AC/DC. Say what you will about the music of AC/DC. For years, I had denied the simple fact their music is fun and that I like it. Yes... "Hi, My name is Dave and I like AC/DC!" What really clinched it for me was when the end credits for Iron Man 2 come up accompanied by the sound of Angus Young's Gibson SG hitting those opening chords to Highway to Hell. It just sounded so good as I felt a giant smile take over my whole body.
 
 
 
It's odd that whole AC/DC onslaught and epiphany came to me in the last 4-5 days. I went to a local guitar shop that sells outdated music magazines for $1 each. They are mostly Guitar Worlds and Modern Drummers. Modern Drummer magazine has been running a series of "Why We Love....." followed by essays by a current crop of popular drummers and what they like about featured drummers like Neil Peart, John Densmore (of the Doors) and AC/DC's Phil Rudd. The other magazine I picked up is Guitar World's Guitar Legends issue on "Five Greatest Rock Albums" which includes Gn'R's Appetite, Zeppelin IV, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and AC/DC's Back in Black. So, I began thinking about the past 30 years of memories associated with this album (and my constant denial that I really like it). From early Junior High memories to college parties to my watching a video of my son playing an air guitar solo in the backseat of his mom's car.
 
There's a scene in Wayne's World 1 or 2 where Wayne's girlfriend shows him a copy of Peter Frampton's Frampton Comes Alive! and Wayne's response is "Are you kidding? ....they used to give away copies of this album with boxes of Tide in the 70's" Well, the same could be said about 1980's Back in Black. Much has been said about this album. Original Vocalist Bon Scott had died after an all night drinking binge just before the writing and recording of this album. This was to be the follow-up to their breakthrough album Highway to Hell which was produced by Robert John "Mutt" Lange. Of course, "Mutt" Lange would go on to legendary status as producer for Foreigner, Def Leppard, the Cars, Bryan Adams, and of course his wife Shania Twain. He has recently produced for Nickelback and is schedule to produce a new album for Maroon 5. But, in 1980 (and now in 2010) the general public didn't know and doesn't care who produced it. They just know in their gut and their inner primal instincts that AC/DC's Back in Black ROCKS!!
 
probably my favorite song off this album.
 
 
30 years ago, I was 13 years old and (officially) a teenager. The choral music program at North Platte's Adams Junior High for 8th graders was divided into boys and girls chorus. The reason being that this is the age where boys' voices begin to change and can be quite embarrassed by the strange noises that emanate from their vocal chords......especially around girls of the same age. Occasionally, our teacher would encourage the class to bring in some of our favorite records for a kind of laid back casual Friday setting. My recollection of the album that everyone wanted to hear (by popular vote) was Back in Black. Since, it was a casual laid back atmosphere, the album cover and inner sleeve were passed around the room as we listened. I looked at the inner sleeve and I remember seeing these sweaty rockers onstage and singer Brian Johnson looked as if he were just screaming. In my mind, that was my first excuse for not liking them. We sit back, the needle is dropped on the record and soon we hear the sound of a big bell as it clangs away as Angus plays those opening notes. I look up and see one of my classmates standing at the front of choral room. He stands there with a mischievous grin on his face and poses as if he's holding an imaginary mallet. He precedes to pantomime to bang his imaginary bell with the sound of the album...very cool...and imbedded in my mind probably because this was out of character for this classmate who was not known for being a class clown seeking attention. By mid 1981, this was THE album that every teenage boy owned or had to own (or wanted to own). My cohort from chorus (and fellow 2nd tenor) Byron was obviously a fan of this. I remember once where he poured out in detail about the stereo he was getting from his parents along with a bunch of tapes to go with it. The tape that he gushed about the most(at least in my memory) was....(duh) the same one I've been talking about. He would go on about titles like What Do Ya do For Money? and Givin the Dog a Bone and of course the classics Back in Black and You Shook Me All Night Long!
 
 
A few years later, there was controversy in the churches nationwide about Satanism in music, hard rock etc. One of the bands that I was told about was AC/DC and that the letters stood for Anti-Christs/Devil's Children. Once again, being a good Christian church going teen, this gave me yet another excuse why I shouldn't like them. I also remember Hit Parader magazine pitting guitarist Angus Young against Eddie Van Halen. At the time, Eddie was number 1 in my book. So, I won't like Angus Young or AC/DC.
 
Years passed by and I went to college in Kearney. I grew in my knowledge of the drumkit and felt pretty confident in my playing. I could do some pretty complicated things if I wanted to. That said, AC/DC's drummer-Phil Rudd has the most basic simplistic drumming style. As I became faster and more complex with drum fills and playing styles, I shrugged off the playing style of AC/DC as simple and stupid. Yet, one night I went to the local bar-Dicky Dugans for college night(and many more after that). I remember being very snobbish about music and drummers at this point. Every video that was on MTV and every style (except the ones I liked) were dumb, disposable and for the idiot masses. The DJ would play songs and it became fun to dance around and have a good time with your friends. When the DJ would put on AC/DC's You Shook Me All Night Long, the dance floor would fill up and y'know it was fun to dance to. I would even let myself be the center of attention and attempt my own Angus Young duckwalking and headbanging impression.
I bought a copy of the LP from the used bin at DUSTYS for 99 cents(I think). I had it in my collection and would listen to it on a whim off and on for years. All this time, I would never fully embrace them as a great rock n' roll album. Of course, there was the multitude of parties in college that Back in Black blasting as the soundtrack of the party. Yet again, it was popular and the ever-growing non-conformist in me made yet another excuse not to like it...(because everybody else did).  I even had a friend who would routinely play the album and everyone would have to drink during the song......(you guessed it) Have a Drink on ME!!
Another observation some friends(musicians) and I noticed that (as you would walk through the dorms) the song Back in Black would come on someone's stereo or radio, most people would always turn up the first 30 seconds of the song and then turn it back down. It was funny but true!
My old friend(and roommate) made a copy of the CD for me and it became a favorite of my ex-wife(I made a copy for her). In fact, at one time, she sent me a video from her phone of our son(probably 3 or 4 years old at the time) playing an air guitar solo to Back in Black.  It was very cute.
So, 30 years this album has been a part of my life (and many others too). I don't feel like I fully embraced the music of AC/DC. I used to say "you only need one album by AC/DC and that is Back in Black.  I know a few die-hard fans that were offended by that.  I remember Dusty telling me when he hired me something along the lines of "You may not like AC/DC. But, they (or the sales of the band) help keep the lights on!" 
It wasn't until I heard the opening chords of Highway to Hell at Iron Man 2 that I finally stopped denying that I like this band. I'm sure I came up with a bunch of reasons why I wouldn't like them. "They were popular. They had a simple drummer. All their songs sounded the same...." I came up with a list of 5 reasons why you can like them (or at least respect them)
  1. They never recorded a Power Ballad
  2. They never went through a spandex and big hair faze
  3. They never had an experimental era.
  4. They may be the ugliest band...but Chicks dig the music
  5. You don't have to guess what a new album is going to sound like.
 
It's a long way to the top...if you wanna Rock n' Roll!
For those about to Rock...We salute you!!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Followers