Monday, April 12, 2010

Allman Brothers Band-live at the Fillmore East


For Christmas this year, my Brother Mike got me a book called "1001 Albums you Must Hear Before You Die". After talking to my friend-Scott Murrish about my book, I decided to finger through the book, find a title and write about the album and the memories I associate with the album. There will be more to come.



Let me first say that I'm sure many memories will coincide with my years at Dustys Records. While I was working at Dustys, many times Dusty would ask us to run an errand for him or with him in his green Chevy pickup. This is in the days of cassette decks in our vehicles...No CD players or MP3 players. One cassette I remember in Dusty's truck was a Maxell tape labeled "Allman Brothers". I had heard bits and pieces of the ABB(Allman Bros Band) on TV and a few recordings. I remember hearing the dual guitar harmonies of "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" and wanting more of that sound. There were times when Dusty would have me drive to the truck to Hastings or the GI store to deliver merchandise, paperwork etc. I would always grab Dusty's tape of "At the Fillmore East" and pop it in the deck(if it wasn't already in there) and listen to that for the drive. I've always loved the percussion attack of dual drummers Butch Trucks and JJ Johanson. But, the dual guitars of Duane Allman and Dickey Betts reels me in every time. Initially, it was the bluesiness of the music. But, it was an intangible sound that became both signature for the sound of southern rock and the template for every jam band after that. That is what keeps bringing me back to the Allmans.
As I listen to the album and look at the album sleeve, I'm reminded of the movie-Almost Famous. The lead character has a poster of the fictional band-Stillwater with the band posed in an almost exact manner as the Allman Brothers band on the cover of the Fillmore East album.


My brother-Mike, Myself and Jayson Obrecht and our blues band-BOOGIE CHILLUN used to do a cover of the song "You Don't Love Me'. Jayson got the song from a version that Gary Moore performed. The Allmans do it on this album. but, it was originally a tune by Willie Cobb.
I actually bought this album as a used CD about 10 years ago. I ran into a friend and fellow musician who said, "hey Dave, Check this out! Do you have this album?" I didn't...I do now and it remains in my collection to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Followers